LRO: Pink engines

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 11:40:56 EDT

>but surely pink is the only correct colour for a L/R engine?

Engine? I always thought it was the proper colour for a rear end
assembly. When I got my first car and became aware they had such things
as rear ends, I crawled under and painted it pink. It seemed appropriate
some how and went with my developing sense of humor. It didn't do much
for my developing sense of esthetics though.

But seriously, if you are going to do pink on the engine I would suggest
white on the ancillaries that are traditionally painted black and using
red synthetic oil so that the leaks would not create a harsh counterpoint.

I believe the best solution is to take a systems approach to colour.

For a body colour to go with a pink engine I would suggest taking a page
out of some of the fifties/sixties custom cars. Paint the Land Rover
white. Obtain large cheap machine made lace curtains and lay them
tightly over the white surface and spray over that with a contrasting
colour. Pick one that would harmonize with the pink engine. The end
result would be an intricate white lace pattern that sets off the solid
pink engine. You might even wish to enlarge on the solid pink theme and
paint the entire drive train pink as well. You could do the frame and
suspension in white to carry on the interplay of colours.

I took a systems approach on my Land Rover. Being a traditionalist at
heart, I went with more traditional body colours. Since the Name of my
Land Rover is The Green Rover, I needed to stay with a green. The Rover
greens did not fit my value of colour esthetics so I widened my search to
other British marques to keep the colour still within the British car
family. I decided upon a 1972 Jaguar British Racing Green. Since the
traditional 109 two door top is white I searched for a colour that
matched the white the Martin Walter's factory originally painted on my
Dormobile top. While not the correct limestone white, it allowed me to
remain true to both the Dormobile roof factory colour and the Land Rover
two door colour schema.

When I picked the curtains for my Land Rover I went with a floral pattern
that carried out both the dark green of my Land Rover's body and the
white of the top. The current china carries on the white and the floral
of the curtains but adds a contrasting red floral colour for interest.
My cloth place settings and napkins revert back to the dark green but
carries the red floral pattern to set the china off.

Since the factory interior was a medium dark grey & and the factory
Dormobile furniture is a slivery grey Hammerite, I decided to carry the
basic early Land Rover colours through the rest of the interior.

I went with a similar to the seat colour darkish grey for the carpet and
a contrasting light grey in the headliner to add a sense of space and
airiness. It makes an early series statement without competing with the
colours of the exterior and the curtains.

The bottom line is when you are building a Land Rover for long range
expedition there is more to think about than recovery gear. You will be
living in it for weeks at a time. It helps if it is pleasant and restful
to the eye as well as practical.

TeriAnn Wakeman If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com I will be sure to read the message

http://www.shadow-catcher.net <- Photography for sale
http://www.overlander.net <- Web directory for Land Rover
http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman <- My personal web site

"In the world of type A & type B drivers consider me a type C gypsy
traveler. Destinations are optional and not necessarily desirable."