Re: LRO: Re: frame over progress...

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 16:58:31 EDT

    Many years ago I got the bug cruise the world but building a boat was the
    only way I thought I could afford the boat I THOUGHT we needed. In my
    searches I found the boat of my dreams but it had just been sold. In
    talking with the guy that built it, he had some very sage advice that is
    somewhat apropo to your question. He said: "if you want to build a boat,
    build a boat. If you want to go sailing, buy a completed boat and go
    sailing. Don't try and mix the two." It was only after 6 months, with no
    end in sight, into converting the huge fiberglass bath tub into a livable,
    sailable boat, that I understood the wisdom of his words. The time invested
    in building the boat, would have been much better spent in sailing a less
    grandiose but servicable completed boat. Learned a lot in the construction
    of the boat, got in really good physical condition, lost a few fingers, and
    ended up with a boat that was a perfect fit for my wife, our dog and me.
    Even with all that, we should have bought a finished boat and left. Might
    have gotten farther than Moorea if we'd gone two years sooner. We didn't
    really want to build a boat, we wanted to go sailing

    The Rovers are another story, I really want a simple, fix it myself
    'erector' truck. Don't want anyone else mucking about with my Rovers.

    From the success, but mostly abandoned dreams of all the backyard
    boatbuilders in Costa Mesa in the early 70's, you need to seriously look at
    why your doing what your doing. Most of the boat projects weren't finished
    by their original creators. Almost all the ones that were finished were
    sold almost immediately after completion because the reality wasn't the same
    as the dream. If you like working on vehicles and bringing some abandoned
    derelict back to life, sell it as soon as the project is finished. Then go
    out and get yourself another new project. If you want to go four wheeling
    you could do something as heretical as Peter H. says and actually go out and
    use the truck for its intended purpost. If trackless exploring and camping
    is your raison d'etre, might think about buying someone else's finished
    project or (heaven forbid) a J**p and getting out there on a weekend.

    Maybe we need a twelve step program for frame over withdrawal!!! Actually,
    I keep a number of Series trucks about as continuing projects. Seems like I
    get one up and running and something goes wrong with another so I never
    really have to worry what to do when I'm finished working on one truck. So
    between the trucks and the coffee farm, my time is never at a loss.

    Aloha
    Peter Ogilvie
    Kona Coffee Rover
    1970 88 soft top, 'huli' Mine since '84 but recovering
         from exposure of the dark side.
    1966 109 pickup 'slime' In my garage since '90, finally running.
    1965 88 parts car, slowly sinking into the lava.
    196? 88 hard top, possibly 'phoenix' if it rises, it will
         certainly be from ashes or at least a pile of rust