LRO: Re: Series II motor

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 17:13:28 EDT

    Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:51:13 -0700
    From: "Rich Williams II" <richw@nwlink.com>
    Subject: LRO: Series II motor

    >I found the Robin's Egg Blue (or
    similar) to be on later blocks.

    Robin's Egg Blue was definitely used on
    the Series III in 1973, as that's what my engine
    was painted. I also have some color brochures
    from that era, and the photos of the engine bay of
    the Series III shows the Robin's Egg Blue engine
    very clearly (the rocker covers were aluminum
    colored, by the way).

    But I have seen in the UK engines from earlier
    years (original paint) that were gray, black,
    blue (Lister blue for those of you in the UK who
    know something about marine engines), green
    (similar to the green used on Volvo Penta diesels),
    and in one case that the owner swore was original,
    red. The red block was in an SII, and given the
    condition of the paint, I had no trouble believing it
    was original. Based on what
    I've seen over the years, I suspect Land Rover used
    whatever engine paint they happened to get a good
    deal on at the time. There seemed to be no rhyme or
    reason for their color selections.

    C. Marin Faure
    Producer/Director, Boeing Video Services
    telephone (425)393-7721
    mobile (206)650-5622
    fax: (425)393-7741
    e-mail: marin.faure@boeing.com