Re: LRO: Brake Shoes

From: Ray Harder (ccray@showme.missouri.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 16:14:41 EDT

    i wiped off a set of oily shoes with acetone
    once -- the appeared as new, and i reused
    them. it all worked out fine. the oil leak
    wasn't that bad, though and perhaps a longer,
    worse leak would cause oil to soak in more.
    if there was a good bit of lining left, i would
    wipe and use... ray harder

    On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Brian F. Waltman wrote:

    > Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:05:49 -0500
    > From: Brian F. Waltman <bfw@cwm-inc.com>
    > To: lro@works.team.net
    > Subject: LRO: Brake Shoes
    >
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I finally figured out why my brakes seem to be a bit slow in stopping me.
    > The hub seal on one of the back wheels is going bad and the differential oil
    > is leaking out into my drum. Makes it abit hard to stop in a real crunch!
    > Anyway, I got a new seal in the mail the other day and will replace it this
    > weekend. The question is, once I get the oil leak stopped, do I need to
    > replace the brake shoes? I am assuming they are covered with oil. If so,
    > will I need to get new ones?
    >
    > Yes, that's right, I'm still learning. The hard way in most cases.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Brian Waltman
    > '69 Series IIa 88"

    Sincerely,