Re: LRO: Axles

From: Gbrovers@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 11:19:40 EDT

    Jean
        Front axle shafts are not subjected to the stress of the rears primarily
    due to the fact that when you have them engaged you are in 4 wheel drive and
    splitting the torque front and rear. Weight transfer issues are also involved
    but I won't go into that. I also suspect that the front shafts are
    manufactured from a better material and have a higher heat treat level. I
    haven't actually had any tested so its a gut feel at this point. We have
    tested several sets of stock rear axles and they have a very low heat level.
    Rockwell C of 35 to 45 - and frequently thats on the same shaft!
        As a result upgrading front shafts is optional in my opinion, unlike the
    rears. I do sell a 24 spline axle conversion kit for the front. The vast
    majority of them have gone to folks in the south east U.S. Those southern
    boys are hard on equipment! From what I understand Tellico is like Moab
    except everything is covered with wet slimey moss!
        You can source Salisbury diffs for the front but the only real advantage
    is a stronger ring and pinion gear. Install a 4 pinion carrier (or a 4 pin
    style) in the Rover diff and you will eliminate the most of the difference
    with the Salisbury without the disadvantages of the Salisbury - weight, loss
    of ground clearance, modified driveshaft etc. Will end up costing a lot less
    too.

    Bill
    Great Basin Rovers
    P.S. I don't think anything of Timms is stock