LRO: Re: Axles

From: Phil Norris (phil.norris@virgin.net)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 18:15:56 EDT

    J-L, I'm sure other guys UK guys will correct me when I go wrong, but here
    goes. From my limited knowledge there IS a Salisbury front out there too,
    used on the S11 1ton, Shorland APCs and others in both leaf and coil
    "flavours"etc so you COULD go Salisbury F and R. A UK guy on the D90 list
    runs Sali-s F and R w 35" wheels for strength and still is considering
    changing bearings yearly as a precautionary measure!! However I've only
    everseen them at £400 ish and up plus your shipping which probably precludes
    THAT as an idea. Next us 4-pin diffs and uprated 1/2 shafts and hubs for
    the front getting you up near Salisbury strength but in an ordinary axle
    casing. I'm sure these will be easier to source out in the colonies!!!!
    I'm sure that, gleaning from TeriAnns posts, mechanical sympathy and
    skillful driving techniques rather than full-gonzo go a long way to
    preserving shafts etc so could explain longevity there.
    my £0-02,
    PhilN