LRO: Busy Weekend Planned - Rear Main Oil Seal

From: Paul Quin (Paul_Quin@pml.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 16:57:18 EDT

    Looks like I've got a busy weekend planned.
    The time has come to fix the leaking rear main oil seal.
    I'm doing the full Monty and pulling the engine.

    Since my engine is a SII (The S/N indicates 1959) Chris from Wise Owl
    recommended getting a ream main seal kit (genuine LR) and a set of half moon
    SII oil seal retainers. I also picked up a sump gasket and head gasket as I
    plan to have a look-see at the valves etc. The compression is still good
    but...

    It would also be nice to have the time to give the engine a thorough
    cleaning and maybe a paint job. Someone once suggested a near match for the
    LR blue - green engine colour. What was it again?

    I think that pulling off the front wings and radiator panel as one unit
    would give me the best access to the engine. Does this make sense? I'd
    also like to take this opportunity to straighten up my aft leaning bulkhead
    by loosening the steering box pillars and pulling everything forward an inch
    or so.

    I've got an engine hoist and stand lined up so:

    * Friday night - out with the engine
    * Saturday. Oil seal, head exam. Paint Job
    * Back in with the engine.

    Sound too optimistic? I think so but I'll give it a shot.

    I think that this weekend would be a good time to subscribe to the list from
    home.
    Anybody good with NetMeeting? Maybe some video conferencing will be in
    order :-) - Time to put that cable modem to work!

    Paul Quin
    1961 SII 88
    Victoria, BC