LRO: Re: IIa Mechanical Fuel Pump

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 16:21:35 EDT

    Date: Wed, 25 Apr 01 08:56:06 -0700
    From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
    Subject: Re: LRO: IIa Mechanical Fuel Pump

    >>Yes that's it, but getting at those two nuts can be an exercise in
    >inventing new words.

    >I've removed the series fuel pump a number of times in over 20 years of
    ownership and I don't remember it being a big deal.

    I replaced the fuel pump on my SIII once many years ago, and like TeriAnn,
    I don't recall there was anything tricky whatsoever about the job. Disconnect
    the fuel in and out lines, remove the glass sediment bowl so it won't break
    when you accidentally drop the pump, remove the couple of bolts or nuts holding
    the pump to the block, and that's it.

    I wouldn't be surprised if I had to use an open-end wrench on the bolts
    at the time, as I'm always running into that sort of thing on the Land Rover,
    but I don't recall fighting a stubborn fastener that was overly hard to get at. I
    don't even remember if I did the job from above or below the vehicle, but if I
    did it from above, I'm sure I removed the bonnet entirely as it really gets in your
    way when you do these sort of jobs. But I would have used the factory service
    manual and followed the instructions to the letter. I seem to recall the whole job
    took less than an hour, but I may be mis-remembering that.

    C. Marin Faure
    Producer/Director, Boeing Video Services
    telephone (425)393-7721
    mobile (206)650-5622
    fax: (425)393-7741
    e-mail: marin.faure@boeing.com