Re: LRO: IIa Mechanical Fuel Pump

From: RON WARD (ronward@synovustrust.com)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 20:57:00 EDT

    Well, I got to looking around mine last night and with the air cleaner, and dryer vent hose to the heater blower removed, access is still tough. I wiped down the crud on the nuts and got an open-ended spanner on both (didn't turn them, just fit to size). I suppose I will order a main pump body seal and check on a replacement pump for my spares kit. Thanks for your help.

    >>> rgrant@cadvision.com 04/24/01 18:32 PM >>>
    At 17:54 24/04/01 -0400, RON WARD, wrote
    >On removing the fuel pump assembly, is it as simple as undoing the two (2)
    >nuts on either side of the pump from the side panel of the engine?

    Yes that's it, but getting at those two nuts can be an exercise in
    inventing new words.

    When I did it recently I couldn't seem to slip a socket over either one of
    them, probably because of the buildup of grease crud and it didn't help
    that I was essentially working by touch because they are on the underside
    of the pump housing.

    If you can't get at those two then the alternative way is to remove the
    bolts holding the side cover to the engine. The Haynes manual says there
    are five but there were in fact six on mine, one buried bottom centre where
    I couldn't see it. I also found that the six bolts come in three lengths
    so mark where they come from in case this length business is important.

    Once I had the pump off it was easy to see how the socket should have gone
    in order to pull the two pump nuts, even easier after I cleaned the crud
    off them.

    I found the overhaul instructions in the Green book quite good once I'd
    figured out how to get the pump off.

                                                 Rick Grant

                                        1959 Series II "88"
                                      VORIZO