Re: LRO: IIa Mechanical Fuel Pump

From: RON WARD (ronward@synovustrust.com)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 20:53:19 EDT

    2 tubes? The fuel lines?

    >>> twakeman@cruzers.com 04/24/01 20:44 PM >>>
    >On removing the fuel pump assembly, is it as simple as undoing the two (2)
    >nuts on either side of the pump from the side panel of the engine? I'm
    >not having a problem (yet) with the pump, but it is the only component of
    >my stock truck that I have not rebuilt or replaced since owning the thing.
    > And as I am planning a longer than normal trip soon I'd like to be
    >prepared to tackle a roadside failure of this my weakest link. A friend
    >gave me a pump rebuild kit, so I have the parts to do the work. My green
    >bible is a little sketchy on removing the assembly.
    >
    >Any trick to it?

    One other item. You need to remove the two tubes as well as the two
    bolts.

    But yes it is as simple as it seems.

    There is one confusing item. The replacment diaphrams have the metal
    parts assembled slightly different than the older diaphrams & the
    illustration in the manual. Don't worry about the differences and
    assemble it the only way it will go on.

    Oh and it's best to reassemble the top & bottom in the same orientation
    So either mark it before seperating the top from the bottom or remember
    how it goes.

    Well maybe it is a tiensy less obvious that it initally seemed but that's
    only because the factory in Turkey is assembling the diaphram wrong and
    since it works onyway the Rover people don't seem to be interested in
    correcting their supplier.

    Oh and don't remove or loosen the glass sediment bowl unless you have a
    new rubber gasket on hand. The rubber gasket hardens and will not reseal
    once it is hardened. So if a new sediment bowl gasket is not part of the
    kit, get one and add it to the kit.

    TeriAnn Wakeman Marigold Ltd.
    Santa Cruz, alifornia Web design, site updating, testing
    webmaster@overlander.net search engine optimization, graphics
                                  and more

    http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html