RE: LRO: Re: X-fer cases

From: Scott Wickham Jr. (urbncby@sgi.net)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 20:26:46 EDT

    When I bought the car one of my first jobs was to rebuild the transfer
    case. The gears were blue but intact. I replaced all the bearings and
    seals and the transfer case just kept working.

       Sounds like these xcases are pretty stout. I was thinking mine was on
    the way to exploding. When I'm in 2H or 4L things are ok. When I select 4H
    it feels like it's slipping power to the front axle. Power, no power,
    power, no power... Also, when I let off the gas, I hear metallic knocking
    in there like the gears want to disengage but are on the edge of not doing
    so. This is a SIIa xcase on a SIII tranny. The xcase was rebuilt 2-3 years
    ago by another lister. Tranny is as it was when I bought the truck in '96,
    noise but doesn't jump out of gear. I'm usually very smooth shifting it and
    am trying to milk it as long as I can. Any ideas?

    Thanks.

    Scott C. Wickham Jr.
    Pgh. Pa.
    '72 88" (secretly disguised as a IIa)