Dimming lights Re: LRO: Air Compressors

From: NADdMD@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 19:01:08 EDT

    In a message dated 4/19/2001 5:21:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
    konacoffee2@hotmail.com writes:

    << My old IR oil less 2hp was hooked up to a 15 amp circuit without a problem
     with it blowing a circuit breaker. The house lights would go very dim when
     it kicked in, however. I'd go for a 20 amp 110 circuit, if you can swing
     it. >>

    Sounds like other problems with the wiring to me. My understanding is that a
    heavy draw should only briefly alter lighting (actually, in a well designed
    wiring system, not at all). I would suspect other problems in the
    wiring--bad neutral somewhere, undersized wiring into the house, short
    somewhere, etc. Heavy loads should trip breakers, not dim lights. That's
    what the electrikal guys tell me.

    Nate (wiring my workshop now)