Re: LRO: Re: Koenig winch update

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 01:18:01 EDT

    > >Have you given any thought to where you are going to>
    > >mount the directional valve?
    > >I have an Areoparts hydraulic winch with the directional
    > >valve mounted inside the cab of my SIII on the right side
    > >heel board.
    > >Works good enough but I can't see if I'm getting a rats
    > >nest on the drum when I'm taking up on the cable.
    > >Bill Fishel

    Aloha,
    I have the Koenig PTO that runs off the engine crank. It was originally
    designed to run with PTO cables, but mine never had it. The PO sat on the
    right front fender to operate the winch. If I was recovering someone else,
    maybe. But for self recovery this scares the hell out of me, can just see
    winching the Rover over myself after I pull a "Pete" and slip in the mud.
    So I am going to get some cable from a truck suppliers and run em to the
    cab.

    I have the same concerns about getting the cable wrapped up wrong. I have
    blue steel and it runs in pretty good, but it needed a bit of coaxing when I
    wrapped it. Even though the blue is supposed to drop to the ground if it
    breaks, I still believe the proper position when winching is in the cab with
    the bonnet up. So how to watch the cable when winching? What I am thinking
    of is a large flat mirror that clamps on to the roobar or mounts to the
    front fender. When not winching it could just fold down onto the fender.
    Pete