Re: LRO: Re: Door top bolts R & R ? ? ?

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 14:09:09 EDT

    On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Hope Peter wrote:

    :
    :> Well, with the first day of warm Midwest air, I decided to take the door
    :tops
    :> off the 109 in preparation for the canvas in a week or two . . In the
    :process
    :> a passenger side door top bolt sheared off at the bottom of the door top,
    :> leaving me a rusty bolt and very little to work with.
    :> If you disassemble the door top can you get the bolts out? If not has
    :anyone
    :> tried welding them? Looking for an inexpensive repair solution, I always
    :> wanted defender door tops just not this way.
    :> Any advice would be great.
    :> Thanks
    :

    New door tops are cheap, if you buy them in england. 15 or 20 pounds (plus
    shipping, which shouldn't be too bad) for a perfectly servicable, rust free
    door top, with new channels. Reuse your existing glass and window lock.
    they'll be the series III type, with a hole at the bottom for the lock, but
    II and IIA style locks rivet just fine to hte top. Consider that before
    you spend lots of time trying to repair a badly rusted one.

    while we're on the subject, the door tops on my 109 are good and stuck.
    suggestions on how to get 'em off? I've been spraying penetrating oil up
    the shafts, and tapping the bolts with hammer. I'm afraid to put too much
    force on lest I break it.

    David, off to beat his door top bolts with a hammer

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com
    Bipedalism is only a fad.