LRO: OD oil level

From: Tom Gross (tgross@esri.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 18:52:23 EDT

    Why not beat the OD discussion further into the dust. I just rebuilt my
    Fairey OD a couple of weeks ago. While it was apart I took a good look at
    what the oil level would be at the notch with the dipstick screwed all the
    way in, and what it would be if the level was taken without screwing it in.
    I'm not sure what the manual says, but since I always screwed it all the way
    in when checking the oil level, I was more than a little shocked at how
    little oil would be present. With the dipstick screwed in, the oil level
    barely reaches the bottom of the small gear on the layshaft. Without
    screwing the dipstick in, the oil level would be just under the bottom of
    the layshaft itself.

    I also noticed that the needle bearing under the input gear gets its
    lubrication through a couple of holes drilled radially through the gear.
    Maybe this is standard practice for gearboxes. These holes are about 1/16th
    of an inch in diameter. Maybe the oil is supposed to be sucked in through
    the back end of the mainshaft and travel along it through one needle bearing
    and a couple spacers, up a shoulder and into the needle bearing under the
    input gear, and then get thrown out the little holes (centrifugal force?).
    Just a theory, but it doesn't seem like the design allows for a whole lot of
    oil to get into this bearing, whether it is coming in the holes or going
    out. All other needle bearings on the mainshaft and layshaft are lubed in
    the same way - if that's how it's supposed to work. By that, I mean that
    there are little holes drilled radially over the place where each needle
    bearing rides on the mainshaft and layshaft.

    Maybe enough oil gets thrown around if the level of it barely reaches the
    bottom of the layshaft gears. I know a lot more gets thrown around if the
    oil level is just under the layshaft. How do I know this? I used a piece
    of plexiglass for the inspection plate, and I could see it. Since my
    operant fantasy is that the more oil that gets thrown up on the mainshaft,
    the better, I fill my OD up till half the layshaft is covered - I don't care
    where the little notch is. I don't have a problem with oil going out the
    little breather hole, because I've got a couple of vent hoses, one going to
    the T-Case and one to the outside (with a filter on the end). I'm using
    clear plastic tubing for the lines so that I can see if any oil is being
    pumped out of the OD. I added the vent hose to the outside, and moved the
    location of the vent hole to the other side of the inspection cover (over
    the selector shaft), after I noticed that using just one hose to the T-Case
    let oil get pumped from the OD to the T-Case. Maybe some oil gets forced
    through the seal on the Output Gear into the T-Case directly, but I'm
    checking the oil level a lot more often nowadays, and the vent hoses should
    help keep that from happening (another theory).

    Tom Gross
    '67 NADA 109 6cyl