LRO: Re: Air Travel

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 18:12:04 EDT

    Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:37:47 -0600
    From: "Tim Czajka" <timczajka@hotmail.com>
    Subject: LRO: Re: Air Travel

    >Although
    technically it's not good to have a wood instrument exposed
    to temperature extremes. But the flight is only two hours and
    the case reasonably well insulated. I assume the luggage
    area of the plane is not climate controlled - not sure how
    cold it gets up there it.

    Actually, the luggage areas ARE climate controlled, at least
    to a degree. Don't forget, they carry live animals in there.
    People who think the lower holds in airplanes are not pressurized,
    heated, etc. are not correct. The entire tube of the fuselage is
    pressurized. The lower holds don't have the same number of
    air outlets as the passenger cabin, but it isn't freezing cold,
    and the pressure is the same as in the passenger cabin (otherwise
    the can of shaving lotion in your suitcase would explode). The
    wheel wells are not pressurized or heated, of course, and people
    who stow away in them generally end up pretty dead. That, I suspect,
    is one reason why so many people think the lower holds are unpressurized
    and freezing, too.

    Some airlines heat the forward compartment more than the rear compartment
    or visa versa, and they have a policy of carrying live animals in the
    more heated compartment. But items in the hold are generally not
    submitted to severe climate conditions. In addition to animals, many
    airlines carry perishable freight in the holds (flowers, fruit, etc.). So
    I wouldn't worry too much about putting a wooden instrument in checked
    baggage IF it's well packed in a strong case. Your biggest problem is
    going to be the way the case is handled. The treatment checked baggage
    gets can be extremely brutal.

    C. Marin Faure
    Producer/Director, Boeing Video Services
    telephone (425)393-7721
    mobile (206)650-5622
    fax: (425)393-7741
    e-mail: marin.faure@boeing.com