LRO: Re: Powder coating question

From: Frank Elson (frankelson@felson.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 14:18:04 EDT

    powder coating anything looks really neat when it's first done and, I
    suspect, it's tougher than paint.
    However, when it does get damaged and water gets in it rusts away happily -
    out of sight - until one day great chunks of powder coating lift off and
    you've a right fine mess underneath.

    My way, these days, is to clean up to bare metal in whatever way you prefer,
    then a couple of coats of redlead (do you still have that in the States?)
    then a coat of primer then top coat of paint.

    Damage to paint becomes obvious much sooner and can be rubbed down and
    touched up easier than powder coating.

    Best Cheers

    Frank
         "(o)======(o)" Bronze Green 110 CSW