Re: LRO: Air Compressors

From: Tom Rowe (trowe@attglobal.net)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 13:26:40 EDT

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:13:11 -0400, RON WARD wrote:

    Snip
    >I'm looking for something very sturdy and powerful enough to run a grinder, and
    wrench (easy removal of spring shackle bolts and other rusted fasteners) and maybe
    even a paint gun at some point. Can any of you folks out there who have these and use
    them a lot give me some pointers?

    Well, yes, Oiless is noiser, and probably not as long lived. That said, I got a
    Chraftsman oilless at a good price. It is their Black Upright model, stands about 5' tall. I
    can't remember the horses, or tank capacity (60gal I think), but it puts out enough to run
    a 300ft /lb impact wrench at the end of 100' of air hose. I paid about under $450 dollars
    for it on sale. I did a *lot* of prece/feature shopping, and decided on the chraftsman
    because after the compressor dies, in who knows how many years, a replacement two
    stage oil type replacement compressor will be cheaper than what one would have cost
    me outright year before last. even including the price of what I paid for mine.

    Cheers

    Tom Rowe
    Atlanta, GA

    Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
            in places even more inaccessible