LRO: Koenig winch update

From: Martin Rothman (martin_rothman@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 13:26:26 EDT

    Hi all,

    I have been busy working away on my ex-Willis Jeep Koenig winch, adapting it
    to my S1-80". This winch is somewhat different than the LR specific, crank
    drive Koenig winch, although it looks almost the same.

    The mount points are at the centerline of the winch drum, rather than the
    base of the clutch case as in the LR version. Also, it doesn't have the
    chain drive-transfer case with dog clutch assembly to connect to the LR
    crankshaft. Instead, the winch input driveshaft extends 2" out from the back
    of the winch, through a cast aluminum mounting plate. Originally, a PTO
    driven driveshaft connected direcly to this input shaft. On the other side
    of the winch drum, the support casting is much shallower than the LR version
    (similar to the Koenig LR PTO winch).

    First I had to determine how to drive the winch. I looked into building my
    own crank drive assembly, AKA the Koenig LR winch. That is, until I
    borrowed an actual Koenig LR crank drive winch and took apart the chain case
    to see what was inside to engage and disengage it from the LR crankshaft.

    It has what is known as a dog clutch engage/release mechanism. For any that
    don't know, this is a mechanical affair that consists of two major parts, a
    driveshaft with two arms sticking out that spin like the blades of a
    lawnmower, and a transfer shaft with two forks. The transfer shaft rides on
    the driveshaft and is slid into the driveshaft arms so that the forks engage
    the arms, driving the winch.(clear as mud, eh?) It is pulled back to release
    the winch.

    This is a BRUTAL affair that doesn't deserve the name "clutch". Engaging the
    clutch while the engine is running puts untold impact load on the
    crankshaft. I have heard horror stories of broken cranks caused by owners
    banging the clutch into and out of drive mode, although I don't any first
    hand knowlege myself.

    Thus I decided to look for another way to drive the winch. OK, PTO? Well,
    on an 80" it is almost impossible to route the various driveshafts to the
    winch. Just not enough room. If I had a RH drive 80" I might have been
    able to do it, but not with the pitman arm on the LH side. I also thought
    about adapting a motorcycle clutch to the winch and driving it from the
    crankshaft. A bit too much effort to do all the machining to adapt it, and
    what about keeping it clean in the mud? Got to be another solution.

    At this point one of my friends suggested that I drive it hydraulically like
    the LR S11 factory hyd winch. My response was "What factory LR S11 hyd
    winch?" Now, you have to remember that I have some serious gaps in my LR
    knowledge. If it was made after 1958, I have little knowledge of it. In
    fact, I have only owned one LR and that is my 1952 S1 80". OK, get a S11
    manual and look at the diagrams. This could work. The hyd pump is driven
    from the pto, the hyd motor is connected to the winch, there is a hyd
    control valve, a 4 gal hyd fluid reservoir tank, various fittings, a filter
    and a bunch of pressure lines connecting everything.

    OK, go on the internet and start learning about hydraulics. It turns out
    that for 8000lb of line pull, at 30 ft/min wind in rate, I need 500 in/lb of
    torque at the input shaft. This translates to a hydraulic motor/pump
    combination that pumps 10gpm at 1000rpm at ~1000 psi. (Whew! Got all that?)

    Out I go to price this stuff at my local hyd dealer. I almost passed out at
    the prices. $300 for motor, $600 for pump, $150 for ctl valve, $250 for
    lines, $200 for all the filters and fittings .... even at Canadian $$'s this
    is pricey, and doesn't even include the costs of building a tank or frame to
    mount the winch! Well after several weeks and some real serious sleuthing,
    I managed to source used motor, pump and valve for the princely sum of
    Cdn$300. Even comes with a 90 day warranty.

    Currently, a friend and I have welded up a new front bumper with the winch
    mounts built in, the winch rear mounting frame with built in mounts for the
    hyd motor, and have mounted the unit to the 80". Looks pretty good.

    Over the next month I will install a PTO in my transmission and mount the
    pump to it. Then I will build the reservoir tank, get the pressure lines
    made up and mounted, and try it out.

    Work, work, work, work... I sure hope it is going to be worth it. My first
    roll of pictures should be developed this weekend. :)

    Martin Rothman