LRO: cutting off bolts

From: SJH (SHARDING@SCHULTE-LAW.COM)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 13:02:00 EDT

            Is a cutoff wheel significantly better than a normal metal grinding
    wheel speedwise? I have to remove some seriously nasty seized rusty
    screws (the broadheaded slotted screws) securing the middle floor in my
    109 SW as well as some bolts holding in my seat brackets. PO had carpet
    back there and every bolt rusted up nicely, some so bad there's little
    evidence of a slot!! I want to do the job faster but I was wondering is
    there a significant difference here (I assume there is) in terms of
    speed, and is a cutoff wheel a good idea when working close to the au
    floor panel which I want to avoid damaging? I want to proceed faster,
    but don't want to damage anything. I was thinking a cutoff wheel could
    simply slice down through the head of each screw to floor or washer level
    and a chisel would then make quick work of the head. Grinder (4.5 inch
    dewalt) just seems kinda slow.

    Simon