LRO: Re: Fairey overdrive oil fill

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 12:00:15 EDT

    Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 07:00:02 -0400
    From: "Brad Crittenden" <bac@spoetzl.net>
    Subject: LRO: Fairey overdrive oil fill

    >Can someone explain the procedure for topping off a Fairey Overdrive?

    I have always filled the Fairey overdrive with lube oil to the notch
    in the dipstick with the dipstick unscrewed. In other words, stick
    the thing in the hole until the cap rests on the housing, but don't
    screw it in. This will ensure that the overdrive has sufficient oil for
    lubrication.

    Bear in mind that Fairey overdrives can lose oil fairly quickly
    by blowing it out the breather hole in the cap. If you drive your
    Land Rover a lot, as I did my SIII for the first ten years I owned it
    as a daily driver, the overdrive oil level should be checked once a
    week. I can assure you that if you let the level run low even a bit,
    the in-out sleeved drive shaft will bind and pop the overdrive out of
    gear. Let this happen three or four times, as I did, and the small
    teeth on the overdrive input gear will finally shear and take the mating
    teeth on the inside of the overdrive input shaft with them. End of
    overdrive, and you face a total rebuild, as other damage is done
    internally as well.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88