Re: LRO: RE: Rivet guns (was: Air Compressors)

From: Todd Ondick (greylildogs@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 23:37:29 EDT

    I have the U.S. tool catalog sitting next to the computer...
    www.ustool.com / 18005214800
    rivet set #4356 & bucking bar #TP112 (there are others better suited, but
    this is cheap)
    Give them a call and ask for the catalog. lots of gadgets that you'll never
    be able to justify buying.
    I use a short-stroke air hammer, .401 shank. $20 from harbor freight,
    nothern tools, or home depot.
    I sourced rivets from mcmaster-carr. #97482A277 solid, soft Al, 3/16" dia.
    ,5/8" length. All other lengths I ordered had flat spots on the head, so I
    cut down the round ones (it's called detail-oriented, not anal damnit).
    source locally if you can... I couldn't.(BTW- they sell sealing pop rivets
    comparable to RN for less $$)

    The setting procedure is like Peter said. Once you have all the bits, it's
    pretty obvious. Then practice. I'm still very reluctant to put rivets over
    paint , but hey, all that says is that I should have used a roller... The
    teasing trigger dedicated rivet gun is supposedly the ticket for not
    screwing up paint- if you know someone who does airplane repair/assy. (and
    is crazy enough to let your rover near their tools).
    have fun!

    -todd
    BTW I want to give credit to the folks who supplied me w/ the info but my
    archives got blotto'd a few months back... I am still in your debt.