Re: LRO: RE: Rivet guns (was: Air Compressors)

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 19:44:36 EDT

    The rivet guns are for the pop rivets, not the round head type. You need an
    air chizel, a bit and a bucking bar to set the round head types. I have the
    information on a supplier somewhere. If I can remember where, I'll send you
    the info. Haven't tried setting the round heads but apparently its a matter
    of putting a 'bucking bar' over one end and then use the airchisel with the
    proper bit to mushroom the other end. Think the 'bucking bar' is just a
    flat piece with a puka the shape of the domed head of the rivet. The chizel
    bit is probably an indented rod that fits over the other end of the rivet.
    You use the air chizel to pound on one end and hold the other end with the
    'bucking bar'. That's my understanding of the procedure, someone who has
    actually done it, chime in if I'm wrong.

    The blind rivets and setting gun are super simple. Stick the rivet in the
    gun, push the rivet in the hole, pull the trigger and your done. BTW There
    are a bunch of different types of blind rivets. The ones from RN are way
    stronger, and take a lot more force to set, than the ones I bought at my
    local Ace hardware. I've used the RN rivets to replace the domed rivets
    without any problems so far. When I build my 'Sunday' truck, will get the
    tools and use the domed rivets where they once were, however.

    Aloha
    Peter