Re: LRO: Air Compressors

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 18:34:20 EDT

    Compressors are one thing that is really good to pickup used. The compressor
    that powered my air tools last summer, working at a farm equipment garage,
    was absolutely awesome. They picked it up for 400$ out of another industrial
    equipment garage, with a burnt out motor. Of course, the owner being
    somewhat excessive, put a huuuge electric motor on it. The pump was a chunk
    of cast iron, and had twin inline cylinders, but they were huge. It had
    about 15 coats of industrial yellow paint. We used air tools that looked
    something like a half sized howitzer a couple of times, especially when
    dealing with large tractors, when removing wheels, and the compressor would
    sit idle for 15 minutes, and then run for two, to recharge a huge tank. I
    imagine that the thing will outlast the next three shops that employ it.

    I'm too poor for an air compressor for home, but I do like airing up tires,
    so...

    I have an old air brake compressor off a freightliner (I think) that I have
    been using as an air compressor, on a generic steel tank. The system works
    pretty good, not enough air to run all kinds of huge tools (3/4" or 1"
    impact, air grinders, etc), but what I was thinking is hooking the pump up
    to the rover's PTO, and putting the tank tucked up under the body sides,
    away from possible bashing, then plumbing in some lines. Maybe stick some
    air fittings through a little door in the side of the body.

    Of course, the beauty of this is you can cut the compressor in and out with
    the PTO lever, and to regulate the pressure, run a bleed off valve set at
    120 psi. As pressure builds to maximum, all the excess is released into the
    atmosphere, making crazy whooshing noises like air brake equipped buses.
    Crazy whoosing noises at stoplights when stopping next to jeeps would be a
    big plus for me.

    Pssssshhhhhhtttt!

    J-L