Re: LRO: Air Compressors

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 14:07:32 EDT

    We have horse power and we have horse power. The old line manufactures have
    a very conservative way of measuring horsepower. 2 horsepower on a Quincy
    or Ingersoll Rand are very close to the 5hp compressors advertised by Sears,
    Coleman, Devilbiss, etc. Check the amperage draw not the horsepower. That
    will tell you what the output really is. As a for instance, believe Quincy
    makes a nice 2hp 20 gallon portable unit that has the same amperage draw as
    the 5hp Sears compressors. Another plus of the Quincy is its a really cool
    maroon color and runs very quiet. My old home quality Ingersoll compressor
    was a 2hp and worked very well for my use. Even though it was rated at 2hp
    by IR, it looked uncannily like the 5hp DeVilbiss, etc.

    If you are buying a home quality compressor from a retail outlet, look for
    at least 5 hp. The larger the tank, the better but at least 20 gallons. Do
    not buy the oil less compressors because they are very very noisy.

    The compressors from the big guys like IR are really nice and really
    expensive. Their smallest compressors typically start at around $800. Not
    only are the compressor pumps and motors heavy duty, but the tanks are
    better, also. They also require at least 20 amps and possibly 30 amps at
    220volts. Does your garage have the juice to power one of these compressors

    Do you need all that fire power in a compressor for occasional home use.
    Probably not unless you are going to do a lot of sand blasting or other use
    that requires the pump to be on continuously. I compromised on a $400
    Coleman 6.5hp, 15 amp, 220v, 60 gallon tank compressor. Doesn't cycle as
    much as a smaller tank compressor and has the pressure to power all but the
    most hungry of power tools. Another plus is its stationary. Don't have to
    worry about friends wanting to borrow it.

    Last but not least. The home compressors don't have a super high quality
    tank. There have been a few reports of rusting out from the inside on
    compressors that have not had the air bled off, when not in use. Release
    the air pressure after each use. It also drains moisture in the tank and
    should greatly extend the tank's life. I replaced the PITA pet cock with a
    street elbow a short length of pipe (nipple) and a ball check valve to make
    releasing the pressure very easy. From experience, found that getting down
    on my hands and knees and groping under the tank to find the valve, then
    trying to remember which way it had to be turned to release pressure, always
    going the wrong way, bruising my fingers in the process, didn't encourage
    releasing the pressure on a daily basis. The street elbow and nipple also
    act as a reservoir so small amounts of water doesn't pool at the bottom of
    the tank.

    Aloha
    Peter