RE: LRO: Re: special tool

From: SJH (SHARDING@SCHULTE-LAW.COM)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 19:40:00 EDT

            Yawn. Come on. Its not an F-16 or Ferrari for crying out loud. I said
    I've had NO problems over the last year with tranny/OD reliability since
    tightening the nut "incorrectly" (due to the fact I didn't have the
    "correct" tool and couldn't see dropping 30 bones on it at the time).
     I've never complained about tranny/OD reliability.

            Tight is tight. I've planned on pulling the OD and checking the torque
    on the nut, but don't have the heart to do that as I see it as mucking
    with something that ain't broke. What's the consequence if it's too
    tight? I can assure you I put the thing on there as tight as I could
    drive it on, at the advice of some of the rover wise in these parts, and
    when we are talking about torques as high as 95 foot pounds, I just can't
    see measuring it exactly being a concern: just get it on there as tight
    as you humanly can, and it'll be ok. Can you tell me there's a
    significant difference between 80, 90, 100 or even 125 foot pounds on
    that particular nut? It's very fine thread, and there's the lock washer,
    so if you tighten it to gut popping tight and lock the tabs, then no
    worries, it seems to me.

    In addition, having the ability to do some thing "incorrectly" can be a
    plus when it means you can make a fix without some special tool" that
    when you need it is sitting on your bench 100 miles away. There is after
    all, a limit to what you can/should weight yourself and your rig down
    with. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

    Simon

    Oh, OK. This level of repair seems all too common with series Land Rover

    owners. People take REAL pride in NOT doing things correctly. I sure
    wish people would quit complaining about how unreliable series Land
    Rovers are. It's not the car's fault.

    TeriAnn Wakeman Marigold Ltd.
    Santa Cruz, California Web design, site updating, testing
    webmaster@overlander.net search engine optimization, graphics
                                  and more

    http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html