LRO: sIII gearbox troubles

From: Casey McMullen (caseymcm@usa.net)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 18:33:53 EDT

    I could use some feedback on a good course of action with my series III
    gearbox.

    History: Got the truck 3 years ago, a gearbox rebuild was done some time
    before that. Immediately put on a farey OD, had to use the evil cold chisel
    method on the main nut. Going from neutral into first has always been tricky,
    usually I would have to put the stick in second, then pop it into first. Then
    just before the Mendo Rallye I had clutch hydraulic problems and was trying to
    force it into gear, after that the stick wouldn't deviate from neutral into
    the first position at all. Rest of the gears worked fine.

    Action taken: Last night I pulled the box (by myself, uhhh my back) and
    disassembled the mainshaft. Nothing looks obviously amiss. Distance sleeve
    is broken as expected (?), retainer ring for third gear is about 30% missing.
    The 1st and 2nd speed gears have small steel teeth that mesh with the brass
    rings on either side of the 1st/2nd syncro unit. These teeth are supposed to
    be sharp and pyramid shaped, but mine are a little rounded off, not terribly
    much, but some.

    Suggestions so far (in order of plausibility to me):
    1) The steel syncro teeth on 1st and 2nd gears are worn, not allowing the
    syncros to mate, both gears should be replaced.
    2) A slightly loose mainshaft nut allowed play in the shaft, probably
    exacerbating the previous item. (I have the tool now)
    3) Mainshaft bearings could be worn (they seem fine to me).
    4) During the rebuild, mismatched gear sets were used.

    Any mendo_recce people near Mountain View who know the internals of a s3 box
    and could take a look at my parts for wear?

    Thanks for any suggestions,
    CaseyM