RE: LRO: Re: special tool

From: SJH (SHARDING@SCHULTE-LAW.COM)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 12:12:00 EDT

    whatsa big deal? Do like I did and get thee to the hardware store or yer
    junque pile and get a 12 inch chunk of 1/4 inch square mild steel. That
    and a hammer or rock, and its a done deal. Torque be damned, tighten the
    thing as tight as you can get it. The mild steel will mushroom at the
    end but that's good. hardened steel, like a chisel is a good option if
    it is the only option between you and being stranded alongside the road.
     Having said all this, I have the special tool with 1/2 inch drive, but
    on rechecks of the nut last tightened with a non-special tool, all is
    well. So I've never used the "special tool" Its just part of my roadside
    repair kit, along with the replacement gear and back plate and bearing,
    should my OD kick the bucket on me. The end.