LRO: 6.5 Diesel

From: Neal P. Dion (kmco@tds.net)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 19:41:18 EDT

    Hi -
    Not a lot of LR content here, but I need some help and I've seen this engine
    mentioned many times in the past on this list. I have a Chevy 3500HD one
    ton with the 6.5 turbo engine in it. This truck is a key part of my
    business and this past Monday it finally gave up the ghost. About 190,000
    miles and I've worked it hard, no major problems till now and no complaints.
    Have not dropped the pan yet, but I suspect that a piston will fall on my
    head when I do - engine is a write off.
    My question - does anyone know of a source for this engine, either
    remanufactured or used. GM gave me an estimate of just under $10K for the
    job ( $7400 for just the long block) and that's assuming that the existing
    injection system and turbo are reusable. The truck is in good shape, but
    it's a 93 and it's tough to justify that kind of expenditure. Any web sites
    that I should check? I'm located in New Hampshire.
    Thanks for the help.
    LR Content - I started the Ser. 3 this past weekend. Started right up (more
    or less!), need to do the front brakes, get it inspected and I'm on the road
    for another season.