LRO: Re: Weird experience

From: Tim Czajka (timczajka@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 14:50:46 EDT

    TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:
    >Of course I do have one problem with the story that someone told about the
    >output gear falling off onto the bottom of the transfer case.

    That was me. Did I not mention Dana 18 in the original
    post? That explains why you were asking about a special
    nut. The 1970 CJ-5 uses a standard nut with nylon locking
    insert. At least that is what's on it now - I will have
    to check a manual or inspect the output shaft to see if
    a separate lock washer can be used. It's possible the
    shaft is keyed and a previous owner installed the nylon
    lock nut. If so I will change. Anyway - regardless
    of CJ-5 or Series - a loose tranny output gear can result
    in weird tranny problems including jumping out of gear.

    T14 tranny and Dana 18 tcase - yes the output gear can
    fall off. It still amazes me to this day that the output
    gear could fall clean off and into the bottom of the tcase
    without any damage whatsoever - twice. What are the odds?
    Imagine if the gear had become tangled with the other
    revolving tcase gears - damage.

    Speaking of the Dana 18 tcase - someone asked about alternative
    overdrives? There is an overdrive available here in the USA
    from Advanced Adapters called the Saturn. It bolts to the back
    of the Dana 18 tcase similar to the Series. It is based on the
    old Warn overdrive that was as popular among the Jeep crowd as
    the Fairey was to Series owners. This overdrive is rated to
    300 ft pounds of torque input and is said to withstand V8
    power. Now do the Fairey, Santana, and Toro models use a
    layshaft? Because the Saturn I believe is planetary.
    Cost is 1000 dollars.

    Can it be adapted to the Series - I don't know.

    Tim Czajka
    1972 Series III 88