Re: LRO: Overdrives

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 18:39:20 EDT

    From Jim's pictures, its clear that the Toro is not a rebadged Faerey. The
    Toro has a bigger sump so oil starvation should be less of a problem.
    According to Jim, the Toro is not as big or robust as the Santana O/D,
    however.

    It looks like the order of progression would be 1st. Santana, 2nd. Toro, and
    3rd. Faerey for quality of design and hopefully longevity. Whether that
    worked out in the real world, only the over drive users can tell. There
    should be enough data to make a comparison between the Toro and the Faerey.
    Santana's were relatively unknown outside of Spain, till TI Console started
    marketing them a couple of years ago. I doubt if any non Spaniards have had
    enough time to put many miles on the Santana so a comparison wouldn't be
    possible.

    TAW seems to think the Faerie is good for a 50-60 thousand miles. Has
    anybody got a lot more miles on their Faerey?? How does that compare with a
    trouble free life for the Toro and Santana, if anyone has gone more than
    50-60 thousand on the Toro and Santana.

    Thanks all for clearing up my misconceptions on the various O/Ds.

    Aloha
    Peter Ogilvie
    Kona Coffee Rover
    1970 88 soft top, 'huli' Mine since '84 but recovering
         from exposure of the dark side.
    1966 109 pickup 'slime' In my garage since '90, finally up and running
    12/00.
    1965 88 parts car, slowly sinking into the lava.
    196? 88 hard top, possibly 'phoenix' if it rises, it will
         certainly be from ashes or at least a pile of rust