LRO: Re: Leather steering wheel covers

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 18:14:18 EDT

    I put a black leather cover on my SIII wheel back in the mid-'70s.
    It's the kind that has little holes in it for "breathability," and
    you stitch it up with a long leather lace. That thing was
    on there for over 20 years. Last year I happened to notice
    a tiny ad in LROI that a company in the UK had a limited number of
    brand new, still-in-the-box, Series III steering wheels. I
    called them and they had one left. So I bought it
    and retired my original wheel. But I still have it and
    the leather cover is almost in as good shape as it was when
    I installed it. I don't remember the brand or manufacturer,
    but I bought it an auto parts store in Honolulu, and it was
    just a standard wheel cover, nothing fancy. I have not put a cover
    on my new wheel as it has a textured surface as opposed to the
    glass-smooth finish that was on the original wheel, and I like the
    feel of the new wheel much better.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88