LRO: UK car index marks (long)

From: Frank Elson (frankelson@felson.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 16:34:46 EDT

    A few of you have asked me questions about UK registration (index) marks in
    the past.
     I posted the prefix/suffix years list a while ago and I've just got round
    to collating all the index marks.
     The letters are either the only two on the plate , or, later, the last two
    letters. They tell you at which area office the vehicle was first
    registered.
     For instance: The first car registered at Bournmouth would have had the
    number 'AA 1' the next 'AA 2' and so on up until 'AA 999' whereupon the car
    after that would have been 'AAA 1'
    up until 'AAA 999' whereupon the next vehicle would have been 'BAA 1' and so
    on. Later they changed around so Bournemouth would have had '1 AA' and so
    on....

    So if you have any UK plates, for example ABD 701A and YDF 940 owned by my
    good friend George Simmons in California... (hope it's ok using these as
    examples George?)
     ABD 701A was issued by the Northampton registration office (where Billing
    is!) in 1963.
     YDF 940 was issued in Gloucester but I can't say the date, Obviously it was
    some time before 1963.
     These days all car registrations in the UK are handled through a central
    office at Swansea in Wales - although the lettering will still indicate the
    area that the vehicle lives at first registration.
     There is nothing to stop a vehicle registered in Scotland (for example my
    old Range Rover OSM 400M, registered at Glasgow) being sold, subsequently in
    Yorkshire, which is where I bought it from.
     My current vehicle, a former Land Rover owned one, B 791 PKV, was
    registered in Coventry. Land Rover seemed to use either the Coventry or
    Birmingham offices at different times.
     Until the suffixes and prefixes, since 1963, there is no indication from
    the registration number, of the year of registration. That would be shown on
    the registration document (log book) although, if you have a number Swansea
    can tell you the year it was issued.

    I think I have covered everything, but if you have any other questions
    please try me out on them.
     Here we go then....

    AA - Bournemouth
    AB - Worcester