LRO: RE: DC 3's

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 11:53:30 EDT

    Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:27:42 -0600
    From: Rick Grant <rgrant@cadvision.com>
    Subject: Re: LRO: RE: DC 3's

    >Plus a page that lists all variants of the DC-3 which
    indicates that only one C-47 was converted during the war. That not only
    flies in the face of Marin's research but also a vague memory I have of
    once seeing a photograph of two float equipped C-47's sitting side by side.

    The person who told me only two C-47s had been mounted on floats
    was the head of the float division at EDO. That's not to say he
    couldn't be wrong, but based on his overall knowledge of seaplanes
    in general and EDO in particular, I would tend to believe him. I don't know
    if either of the converted C-47s was actually operated by the Army Air
    Corps, or if the project never got beyond Ed's facility on Long Island. I
    recall, however, that Jay Free (the head of the EDO float division) told
    me that more than two sets of the 29,400 pound displacement floats
    were manufactured. But I may be confusing that with the F4F Wild
    Catfish project, which mounted the Grumman fighter on floats. About
    ten sets of Wildcat floats were produced, and several planes were actually
    converted, so maybe I'm thinking of those numbers instead.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE