LRO: Re: fuel tanks

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 21:13:17 EDT

    Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:05:12 -0700
    From: "Rich Williams II" <richw@nwlink.com>
    Subject: LRO: fuel tanks

    >Did I read one of the emails correctly where someone (I think it was =
    Marin) stated that there is a protective plate under the fuel tank? I =
    looked at mine last night and found nothing but a ton of scratches and =
    dings from the P.O.

    The stock fuel tank for a Model 88 (I can't speak for the 109) incorporates
    a pretty thick skid plate under the tank. There is a cut-out in the plate
    for the tank's drain plug. It's been so long since I replaced the original
    tank on my SIII, that I can't recall if the skid plate actually separates
    from the tank or not. I think it does, but I can't swear to it and I don't have
    my SIII at work today to go look at it. I also think some of the mounting
    hardware or attach points are actually part of the plate, not the tank, but
    again I could be wrong. The Rovers North catalog I have lists a replacement
    tank, but it does not list a skid plate as a separate item.

    It's possible not all Series fuel tanks used the skid plate, or it may
    be possible to mount the tank on the vehicle without the plate. Or
    the previous owner of your vehicle may have installed an aftermarket
    tank that did not incorporate a skid plate. But on a stock Series,
    at least a stock Series III, there should be a skid plate directly
    under the tank. It's not separated by much; in fact at first
    glance it looks like it's part of the tank itself. There's not
    any daylight between them.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88