LRO: Steering Relay knock update 2

From: joe mulqueen (joemulqueen@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 20:51:41 EDT

    Further Relay Work:
    I just removed the originally installed lower relay
    retainer ring (it was mounted correctly with its
    flange flush to the bottom of the crossmember). The 4
    small fine threaded fasteners needed a 7/16" socket
    for removal They were original, never removed british
    fasteners - but not Whitworth. They came out very dry
    & tight due to light rusting from being exposed inside
    the crossmember box section. After thoroughly
    cleaning the area and the ring, I could place the ring
    back up to its location and realized a definite amount
    of clearance between the ring's ID and the OD of the
    mating portion on the new relay. After carefully
    scrutinizing the ring, I'm thinking it MAY be
    streteched to a larger diameter where it's supposed to
    touch the relay. For the short term I bludgeoned the
    ring a few times on the ground to try to make it
    better "grip" my relay. Meanwhile, I'm now ordering a
    brand new retainer ring and hopefully it will better
    fit the relay. I'm also wondering if that machined
    diameter on my new relay is correct????
    Joe Mulqueen
    '67 SIIA 109 SW