LRO: Hand cranking and engine swaps

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 17:05:18 EDT

    Somebody was talking to me about hand cranking the
    Land Rover engine the other day, and that got me
    wondering if any of the popular engine swaps people
    have been doing on the Series retain the ability to hand
    crank the engine. Granted, it's not a big liability if they
    don't- modern batteries and alternators just
    about eliminate the need to ever hand-crank an engine anymore,
    and if the battery does die, you can almost always get a jump start.
    But the hand crank does come in handy on the 2.25 when
    adjusting valves, and back in the '70s I had to resort to hand
    cranking occasionally when my finances precluded the ability
    to buy a new battery until the next paycheck. Can you put the
    Land Rover's dog clutch crank pulley on the engines you're using for
    conversions, or has anyone had a machine shop make up a dog-clutch
    crank pulley? Of course it may not even be possible to hand-crank
    a V-8, 300 cu in. six, Iron Duke, etc., in which case creating the
    hardware to do it would be a waste of time.

    Higher horsepower does not necessarily preclude the ability to
    hand-start an engine. On rare occasions we have to resort to hand-
    starting the nine-cylinder, 450-hp Pratt & Whitney radials on the
    Beavers I fly, but they are very low compression engines, and are
    actually quite easy to get going by hand.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE