LRO: Galvanizing Bulkheads and Shipfitters...

From: Coates, Clinton (CCoates@golder.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 17:30:19 EDT

    Alan extemporizes...

    >Now, if you want to do this to your hellish heathen UN Land Rover you might
    >want to try a trick I saw a guy do once.

    ONce you have taken that first step down the slippery slope, you cannot
    stop...

    >The splash guards were rubber rather than metal and had been made from ine
    >belting. These were held in place with galvanized fasteners, with spacers
    >between the rubber and the footwell to allow for drainage.

    Funnily enough, this is *exactly* what I was planning on doing!

    Seemed a really nice idea to me - were I to do it however I'd likely use
    truck anti-sail flap material (1/2" thick neoprene).

    Then John adds...

    >...you say I have a Kodiak heater hole???....that's gotta be cool...how
    much
    >does that increase the value of my truck???

    None, the truck comes standard with the hole. You see, there is this little
    thing about the bulkhead being made to be either LHD or RHD and the kodiak
    uses one of these holes... ;-)

    So it seems, either forget the distortion (just wrench it to shape) or bolt
    some HD channel to the thing to keep it straight. Considering how many
    folks have done this now, I guess it sounds reasonably safe. Not quite sure
    I am ready for the galvanized bulkhead look yet. I will have to think about
    that one...

    >Industrious bugger, aren't you???...why not just cut some drain holes to
    let
    >the water out...and stay on the pavement!

    'Cause what I am planning on doing shouldn't take more than a couple of
    hours to do. Besides, there are already drain holes that let some of the
    water into the footwell...

    Regards

    Clinton