LRO: RE: DC 3's

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 14:14:18 EDT

    Over built is an understatement in relation to the DC3. One got flew into a
    thunderstorm (before radar) and hit a down draft so severe it literally
    ripped some of the seats out of the floor. Plane went on to a normal
    landing and was back in service after a little 'maintenance'.

    Some people are rebuilding the 3 with turbine engines. Haven't seen a whole
    much of them. Would expect them to soldier on into the next century with
    such a modification. They were such a quantum leap in aircraft technology
    that its hard to duplicate, even today. Expect availability at a low price,
    however, is a big factor in keeping them in the air.

    Had the experience of flying in a DC3 that had been all gussied up to look
    like a modern commercial plane. It was used for regularly scheduled flights
    from Miami to Key West back in the 70's. Definitely faster and quieter than
    a Ford Tri Motor.

    The float plane DC3 must have some humongous floats. DC3s weigh a bit more
    than a Cessna 180.

    Talking about flying in archaeological artifacts. Used to fly as a
    passenger in a C54 from Oahu to Kauai back in the early '70s. Was poking
    around in the airplane and found a plaque that the airplane had been used in
    the Berlin airlift. Further investigation found that the airplane was built
    before I was borne in '44. Assume that plane has long since gone to the
    bone yard. That squadron also had a C-47 that I flew in once. Was afraid
    to ask how old that one was.