Re: LRO: Birthday Wish (Non-Land Rover)

From: Rick Grant (rgrant@cadvision.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 01:42:55 EDT

    At 20:16 09/04/01 -0600, Ivan Van Laningham, wrote

    >So my advice to you is either don't look out the windows at plane parts
    >_or_ start drinking heavily.

    Given that there are several hundred it not thousands of the birds still
    working daily worldwide I don't think you have to worry too much.

    Back in the early seventies when I was putting myself through university
    after a three year air-crew stint in the RCAF I flew DC-3's right seat for
    40 or 60 or so hours. I will never forget the feeling that those things
    had in the air. Rock steady except on final when there was always a bit of
    a fatlady waddle down the aisle type of feel, smooth as anything through
    however much of a turn you wanted to crank in, and one son of a bitch of a
    cold bugger to be sitting in because the heaters were probably designed by
    the same people who designed Land Rover heaters.

    If I won a lottery and I wanted a Land Rover type of intensive maintenance
    aircraft I'd snap up a DC-3 right away. But if I had lots of money and
    still wanted ultra reliability in the air, superb handling, and outstanding
    STOL capability I'd go for a Twin Otter. (Again, right seat time only)

    Shortly after moving here to Calgary about five years ago I went to the
    local aviation museum and found to my great distress that the DC-3 they
    have parked on their front lawn is a NorthWest Territorial Airways 3 that I
    had flown. I went back to the museum with my logbook to show them that
    their "museum artefact" was something I had first hand knowledge of and
    they were gracious enough to open it up and let me clamber through it.

    Makes one feel really old (NO! I am not restarting the Youth thread!) to
    find part of your past in a museum.

                                                 Rick Grant

                                        1959 Series II "88"
                                      VORIZO