LRO: Re: Series Fuel tanks

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 20:29:26 EDT

    Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 11:45:44 -0700
    From: Mark Pilkington <mark@skywagons.com>
    Subject: LRO: Series Fuel tanks

    >Can anyone suggest a way to clean out and seal
    a series land rover's fuel tanks if they do not leak, but have
    a lot of loose scale and debris inside. Is there a cunning
    sealant you can slosh around in there and tip out leaving a
    perfectly clean and rust protected tank?

    From what you told me awhile back about the business
    you're in, I suspect you may have a possible solution to your problem
    on the shelf in your hangar. Aircraft fuel tank sloshing compound
    might do what you want. It's a liquid that's designed to be poured
    into a tank, then the tanks turned every whichway to distribute the
    material on all inner surfaces. When it dries, it forms a sort of vinyl-
    like coating on the inside of the tank that's impervious to fuel. It's
    purpose is to seal seeping seams in a fuel tank, but I would imagine
    you can use it for the purpose you describe. Obviously, you have
    to remove the fuel tank from the plane or vehicle in order to
    use the stuff. It's a multi-step process,
    and the instructions are on the can. I can't remember how
    clean the inside of the tank has to be, however. It may be that
    it won't adhere properly to a dirty, rusted, or scaly surface. The
    can will tell you that.

    I used sloshing compound to seal up a number of pinholes I had in
    my original fuel tank. Series fuel tanks tend to rust from the outside in
    because of moisture that gets trapped in the dirt that builds up between
    the tank and the skidplate underneath it. My tank was actually quite
    clean and shiny on the inside even after ten years or so. But rust had
    attacked the bottom. I used the sloshing compound, and it did a good
    job. Unfortunately, my tank was deteriorating rapidly, and in about a year
    it started to seep fuel again. I replaced it with a new tank, but was careful to
    apply heavy coats of primer and black Rustoleum to the tank before I installed
    it. It's been almost twenty years since I installed the second tank, and so far
    it has held up perfectly.

    If you simply want to remove the dirt and debris on the inside, I suppose a
    strong solvent would be the way to go. Or you could dump in some coarse gravel
    and rattle that around in there for awhile to loosen the scale and whatnot
    first. We used this technique on a road grader fuel tank in Colorado, and
    it seemed to work great. Gravel is large enough to get all of it out, as opposed
    to sand or some other finer abrasive. If you decide to do this, it's imperative that
    you get all the loosened crud out, as if you leave any in there, it can do a neat
    job of clogging your fuel filters in a big hurry.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE