Re: LRO: Re: Give Me a Brake!!

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 15:21:49 EDT

    Just a note of warning. The really cheap parts from the UK are typically
    not genuine Land Rover parts. Quite often not a big deal but can be. After
    market hydraulic cylinders function the same as OEM but will have some
    differences and may not be rebuildable or capable of being taken apart
    without destroying some crimped, or stamped in place piece. Peter Hope got
    a brand new 1st gear that split in two after very short time in service.
    Price was right on the part but was it really after he had to tear down the
    gearbox a second time.

    The prices may be so good that rebuildability is not an issue but if they
    fail prematurely causing ancillary catastrophic damage, what then.
    Typically, cost of shipping back and forth, if you have a defect may be more
    than the part is worth. For me, any job I have to do twice, because of a
    faulty part, is too steep a price to pay. A deal ends up not being such a
    deal. This is not a genuine at all costs rant or support your local
    supplier 'plaint but just a note of caution. Find out exactly what your
    getting as it may not be what you think it is. You can specify OEM from
    overseas, by the way, and save some money. It may not be just as much
    money.

    Aloha
    Peter