Re: LRO: Hi-lift

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 01:58:37 EDT

    Most of us do not drive around on donuts. Surprized you haven't been
    hijacked by a couple of hungry members of HPD on your way to work. With
    those bullet proof (literally) fat wheels and the tires you probably
    couldn't see anything but clouds over the hood.

    That's why you find a skinny tire for the spare with roughly the same
    diameter as the real tires on your truck. Much easier to see over a skinny
    7.50/16 road tire than a 235/85/16 MT. Might even track down a 5" 88 16"
    wheel to make the spare even skinnier.

    Someone was talking about buying old tires, don't. I've got a full set of
    7.50/16 Goodyear road ribs that came on my 109. I've had the truck for 10
    years, assume the OE Dunlop tractor tires didn't last long so the Goodyears
    are probably 30 years old. They look real good, no checking, lots of tread
    left but they are dangerous. Absolutely no traction on a wet road. The
    rubber must be hard as a rock. Even though my 2.5 cam'd, 8-1 polished head,
    and weber 2 barrel has transformed the old 2 1/4, it wasn't the power that
    kept me continuously sideways in the rain. I could break the rear end loose
    in a gentle turn, at 30 mph, in 4th gear. 1st gear starts were like
    motivating on ice. Forget stopping. I had the tires on for a couple of
    weeks in the dry and didn't notice anything except a very stiff ride and the
    fact they felt a little lumpy. Once it rained, it was white knuckles.
    Haven't had such poor traction since driving on a frozen lake in my youth.
    Be careful if someone wants to sell you a set of tires that may have been
    sitting in a warehouse for a decade or two.

    Aloha
    Peter