Re: LRO: I drove a series II

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 22:05:29 EDT

On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Ivan Van Laningham wrote:

:No one told me there was no insulation on the doors and that you could
:see all the parts for the latches. When people said Series vehicles
:don't have very good heaters, I didn't realize that meant that there was
:a small black box next to the steering wheel that was supposed to heat
:up the entire interior, and that if you weren't careful you could bang
:something on it. Shifting and using the clutch, though, those were as
:described. Now I know what the yellow and red knobs do.

There were optional things like door panels. They're basically bits of
particle board with vinyl on them. Some of them have things like a map
pocket in them. They stop a suprising amount of heat loss through the door
skins. Heaters are a varied lot. The most common heater is the round
smiths heater. It's about 12" in diameter, located next to the driver's
right shin in a LHD rover. It's in the same place in RHD truck, except the
driver's knee isn't anywhere near it. It's often called the shin burner.
The series rover equipped with one is one of the few vehicles that can give
the driver second degree burns and frostbite at the same time.

David

--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com
Bipedalism is only a fad.