LRO: LR dating

From: William L Leacock (roverbilly@juno.com)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 09:59:11 EDT

    I have followed the dating discussion without even bothering to look at
    the pictures. To attempt to date a more than thirty year old Land Rover -
    possibly 40 years old, by lamps, steps, door locks etc is ridiculous.
    Particulalry in an area of the world that spares are hard to come by.
    All the items mentioned can easliy be moved from vehicle to vehicle.
      My 1959 88 has number plate lamp(chromed) , a 1964 engine, 1998
    pistons, valves etc, an alternator circa 1980, 1998 galvanized steel
    plates welded to the chassis (could have been rolled in 1997!) , a 1968
    truck cab, no steps, 1998 headlamps and ex miltary side lamps, no sills,
    an anti burst door lock on the drivers side, How would you date it?

    Regards from Western New York State

      Bill Leacock.
    PS is it still a Land Rover?