Re: LRO: re: power

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 15:36:46 EDT

    There are dangers to nuclear generation of electrical power. With the
    exception of Russia, however, the record for the nuclear power industry is
    unmatched by any other industry in the world. Not one death. Granted that
    a catastrophic failure would have wide ranging and long term effects, but it
    hasn't happened. That is with old technology and much of it trial by error
    manufacture. Your fear of nuclear power is irrational given the facts. The
    problems with contamination and the bulk of the storage problems, with
    nuclear waste, were caused by development of the bomb. A great deal of this
    occured before we were aware of the long term problems and the types of
    materials used in processing bomb grade nuclear material. Breathing is
    dangerous, why don't we all stop doing that.

    I heard a snippet on the news a few weeks ago about a low tech way to
    produce power from a nuclear reaction. Think I heard that it doesn't
    produce the super long life radioactive byproducts and cannot self destruct
    like our current technology. Unfortunately, the regulators are so paranoid
    becuasue it is 'nuclear' that they won't let larger scale development
    procede without all the safeguards of our current dangerous technology.
    Because of the regulators, its too expensive to even think about and
    research money is not available. Any one know what this technology is???

    In the 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' vein, hear that those that
    haven't died of the immediate and radiation caused secondary effects of the
    bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki are living longer and healthier
    lives than their non exposed counter parts. Looks like a little radiation
    may be a good thing. Anybody want to volunteer to find out what 'little'
    is??

    For all the bunny lovers, hear that wildlife is flourishing in the areas
    closed by the Chernobyl disaster. That should make the 'natural' crowd
    support nuclear disasters.

    Are you Canadian's really happy with the coal fired electrical generation
    byproducts drifting up into your neck of the woods??? I'm amazed that so
    many people love the real and present danger of acid rain while denying
    construction of clean and safe power generation systems.

    Talking about engine swaps, wouldn't a little nuclear reactor that you only
    had to fill up once, and drive forever, be a dandy source of power for the
    old series. Eliminate the problem of high fuel consumption and pollution of
    the Petrol engines.

    Aloha
    Peter Ogilvie
    Kona Coffee Rover
    1970 88 soft top, 'huli' Mine since '84 but recovering
         from exposure of the dark side.
    1966 109 pickup 'slime' In my garage since '90, finally up and running
    12/00.
    1965 88 parts car, slowly sinking into the lava.
    196? 88 hard top, possibly 'phoenix' if it rises, it will
         certainly be from ashes or at least a pile of rust