Re: LRO: Re: Wasted youth (was parts availability, etc.)

From: Paul Oxley (paul@adventures.co.za)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 02:07:25 EDT

    Gbrovers@aol.com wrote:

    > Global warming is not a proven fact but it is an undisputable fact that
    > the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere has dramaticly risen since the start
    > of the industrial revolution and the trend is accelerating.

    Um, fair point, however it doesn't mean or prove anything. Your sample
    is tiny (given the history of the Earth), and only spans the era when
    testing has been possible, so we have no way of knowing whether ozone
    depletion and warming isn't cyclical, or whether it isn't perhaps
    declining in the long term (one or two millennia).

    > The problem with waiting to see what the net result is going to be is
    > that by the time we know for sure, it may be too late to do much.

    Environmental eschatology is a growth industry. Since the dawn of human
    habitation on this planet it's been popular to postulate that we have
    reached an apocalyptic 'end time', we create myths and fables about our
    own demise. We even have Chicken Little coining the phrase "The sky's
    falling!" to fret over our fear of a fiery and sticky comeuppance.

    Thirty years ago it was nuclear holocaust, today it's CO2 and global
    warming, what next?

    Regards

    Paul Oxley
    AfricanAdrenalin.com