Re: LRO: Re: To be a Land Rover or not to be a Land Rover - that is the question

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 22:36:09 EDT

    >Another technique is the Terri-Anne technique - confuse the Landy for quite a
    >while so that it forgets who/what it really is, and then you can do almost
    >anything with it

    Right you are. I took a clapped out series II with a lot of missing
    parts, I started by adding some IIA front and rear light assemblies to
    replace the broken Series II ones that I could not locate at the time. I
    followed it up by replacing the totally worn out steering box with a late
    IIA good condition used one. Unfortunately it meant a plastic spoked
    steering wheel and the horn button on the arm was replaced by the one
    that came in the later steering wheel's centre. I got a steering column
    mounted turn signal switch with the column so the nonworking lever on a
    small instrument panel went away too.

    Then 13 years later, I opted to dump my engine in favour of a series III
    power plant with 8:1 compression.

    Then 5 years later I got really crazy and installed a Series III dual
    power brake system and a 109 station wagon fuel tank along with a second
    109 front fuel tank to replace the old leaking factory aux tank. The
    filler assembly came from a Land Rover Defender high Capacity pickup.

    Later that very year I found myself camping in the Pacific North West for
    two weeks of almost continuous rain. I experienced the joys of trying to
    run a Coleman white gas stove and propane lantern inside the back of a
    109. Of sitting there with my hair rubbing against the ceiling and
    getting caught in the roof vent mechanisms. Then trying to move things
    around so I could get room to lay out my sleeping bag. It was during
    that trip that I started thinking about converting my Land Rover's rear
    bed into a camper. After much research I decided to base the camper
    conversion on a Land Rover Dormobile.

    Two years later after breaking my sixth rear axle, I opted for a Land
    Rover series III 109 rear axle and prop shaft.

    That Fall, while on a 3 month long camping trip I was run off the road in
    Wyoming by an 18 wheeler. He was coming up from behind at the posted
    speed limit. I of course was driving along as fast as I could with the
    pedal to the metal. Rather than slow to to about half his speed he opted
    to pass. He just didn't notice that there was a bend in the road and
    another 18 wheeler coming in the other direction. He decided to move
    back into my lane instead of being part of an 18 wheeler to 18 wheeler
    head on at a combined rate of over 100 MPH. I decided that I would
    prefer to go off roading rather then to come into contact with those huge
    tyres.

    Once I got the Land Rover stopped and ran a visual inspection for
    suspension damage I found myself thinking about all the other close calls
    from impatient people passing on blind curves/hills and those times when
    I was on the freeway at night or in storms with big rigs coming at my
    tail at close to twice my speed. That was when I really started
    seriously considering that additional horse power would make my Land
    Rover a lot safer to drive.

    I first thought about using one of those Buick V8s that Rover has been
    using. But listening to people on the e-mail lists, those things seem
    pretty fragile, don't get very good fuel mileage. American versions have
    tons of fragile electronics and just a water pump is about $300. So I
    decided to look for something a whole lot more reliable with better fuel
    mileage and way cheaper parts.

    So almost two years ago I further confused my car by swapping out the non
    stock engine for another non stock engine and gearbox.

    To confuse my poor car even more I added Defender V8 labels and a
    Discover Series II badge to my rear tailgate.

    So yes my poor car is very confused, but she is a whole lot safer to
    drive in American traffic, new water pumps can be had for under $30 and I
    no longer catch my hair on the ceiling in the back.

    The only downside is that I have discovered that steering my 109 was an
    important component of my exercise program. I have lost arm strength
    with the Scout II power steering.

    TeriAnn Wakeman Marigold Ltd.
    Santa Cruz, California Web design, site updating, testing
    webmaster@overlander.net search engine optimization, graphics
                                  and more

    http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html