LRO: RE: Wasted youth

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 01:12:28 EDT

    Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 18:11:53 -0700
    From: "Ben Mitchell" <ben@mitchellfamily.com>
    Subject: LRO: RE: Wasted youth (was parts availability, etc.)

    >I take exception to your blanket characterization of upcoming generations as
    apathetic and undriven. While it's certainly true that there are a bunch of
    slackers my age and younger. I know just as many old farts who share their
    apathy.

    See, you prove my point. You are under the delusion that youth today is
    worth a damn. Typical youth attitude based on unreality. If you really knew
    what was going on, you'd know that youth is basically worthless. I guess
    you'll have to wait four more years to learn that..... (you said you were 26).

    >A lot of the tools you take for granted (including a whole
    bunch of the hardware and software that the drivel you just posted traversed
    on its way to the rest of us) was designed and built by those apathetic kids
    you're maligining.

    No it wasn't. It was conceived by a bunch of old farts at IBM and
    Xerox. Ask Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, they'll set you straight.
    The technology industry in the hands of the "kids" has certainly
    done spectacularly in the stock market, hasn't it.....

    >Regardless however, I would argue that the problems of my generation (if
    indeed they are any worse that those of any prior one) are more directly
    attributable to the very lack of entheusiasm for energizing and inspiring
    youth on the part of their role models than to any shortcomings of their
    own.

    Agreed.

    >Yes, you can turn this around and claim that I'm making your point by
    shouting "victim"...

    Don't have to, you just did.

    >How many grey haired Senators are out there blaming guns
    for school shootings.

    Well, they do have a point. If there weren't any guns, it'd make it tough
    to have shootings....

    >People like YOU arethe very root of the problems you're lamenting.

    How do you figure that? I don't even have kids, so I'm not passing
    my hideous baby boomer traits on to anyone (except my dog, who is, I admit,
    a whiner).

    >I humbly submit that you're a
    crazy old bastard and you should find a porch somewhere with a rocker where
    you can whittle little wooden Rovers (in bone stock configuration) and
    mumble about how "they don't make 'em like they used to".

    I'm looking forward to that. I only hope there aren't any worthless youth around
    to interrupt my whittling and bother me with stupid questions like, "Where does
    wood come from?" By the way, the "they don't make 'em like they used to"
    statement applies as much to people as it does to vehicles.....
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE