RE: LRO: RE: Parts availability vs. bulletproofing

From: N Forbes (forbesn@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 22:28:26 EDT

    I think the question is what percentage of the truck is LR? If you've got a
    different engine and drivetrain and suspension and frame and all you've got
    left of the original vehicle is the body and maybe some of the interior, I
    don't think it would qualify as a LR since there is less LR than other
    stuff. If you've modified it a bit but the majority of the truck is still
    Land Rover than I'd still call it a Land Rover.

    I don't really care what you do with your truck. If you only bought the
    vehicle because of looks, then change the rest if you want. If you bought it
    to use as a way to tinker and try out your modification skills, then fill
    your boots. If you bought it because you appreciate the vehicle for what it
    is, then leave it stock or modify it to whatever extent you're comfortable
    with. It's all a matter of opinion. It's like with kit cars. My cousin has a
    Jaguar D-type but it's a kit car so to me it is way less interesting than
    the real thing. It's kinda neat but nothing I'd get excited about. Other
    people might think is almost as good as the original. Some people obviously
    like them judging by the number of kit car Shelby Cobras there are around.

    Like I said, I really don't care unless somebody is taking a relativly rare
    example of something and changing it when they could use something much more
    common and have the same outcome.

    Niall Forbes
    66 IIa 88SW - The Red Zit
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia